The Challenge.Jill Harrington, President of salesSHIFT, knew her website needed an overhaul. She wasn’t happy with the way it looked, or with how her information was organized. To her, it felt stale – and as she was ramping up her business to include more speaking, it just felt like it no longer reflected her true value and mission.
Her home page didn’t provide visitors with a clear direction as to where to go, and her mailing list opt-in form popped up every time you went back to the home page (not good!) She also needed to be able to create private pages for training sessions, where course materials and recordings could be downloaded by attendees.
She hadn’t received any training on how to use her website, so was unable to make any changes on her own. She also had no backup system in place, and her WordPress installation and plugins hadn’t been updated in… well, in a long time.
- A fresh, up-to-date look that reflected her mission.
- A blog to promote interactivity and keep her content fresh.
- To incorporate video from her YouTube channel.
- To have a website she felt comfortable using.
- Re-organize the content so her services were easier for visitors to find.
- Private course materials & recordings pages for webinar attendees.
- We designed and built a brand new child theme based on a strong parent theme, so her theme can be updated without losing features or styling.
- Though Jill didn’t want to look like a ‘guru’, we highlighted her as a personality with her picture and a quote right on the home page.
- We put her mission front and center on the home page.
- We built two menus – one for basic navigation, one for specific content.
- We also built breadcrumb navigation on every page, so visitors can get around the site easily.
- We completely reorganized her content to make it easy for visitors to find the information they wanted, and created custom on-page menus for that content to keep the main navigation menus clean and uncluttered.
- We included a widget bar on the home page to split up content into easy-to-navigate sections, to make it even easier for visitors to go where they wanted to go.
- we designed a new opt-in box, and placed it in the home page widget bar and in the sidebar of inside pages – prominent without needing a pop-up.
- We added a blog, and added her latest posts to the home page.
- We added video functionality and brought in her YouTube videos.
- We implemented a simple system for password-protected private pages, and for handling file downloads and recordings.
- We implemented and configured a system for malware scanning and backing up regularly, so her data and intellectual property stayed safe.
- Though easy to use, Jill opted to have us manage her content and website updates so she could focus on building her business and writing a book! Go Jill!