La Ferme Black River Game Farm distributes high quality game meats and artisinal cheese to restaurants and retailers across Ontario. Their team of professional chefs, gourmet home cooks, and foodies all feel a strong connection to the products they distributed. Their aim is to know as much as possible about each type of cheese or cut of meat that they carry – from the farms that they come from to how they taste once on the plate – and communicate their knowledge to their customers.
Of course, you wouldn’t have known that from their website. It was an old, out-of-date brochure site that did not reflect the quality or personality of their business. Other than providing contact details, it did nothing to promote their brand. When we asked what they liked about their current site, they replied “Nothing”.
- A modern, sophisticated and professional online presence that reflected the quality of their products and service, their passion for food/farmers and the fact that they are a tight-knit, family business.
- An easy way to communicate with their customers online, and provide news and updates.
- Product catalogues they could easily update, and that customers could easily view online and/or download.
- A website they could easily update and manage themselves.
- In conjunction with The Essential Message, we developed an overall positioning strategy for La Ferme that focused on quality and relationship-building. We also helped them get new staff photographs taken.
- We created a custom child theme that ‘broke’ the usual WordPress theme conventions, so they had all the ease of use without the traditional look/feel of a WordPress site.
- They wanted an image-heavy site with neutral colours, so we greyscaled photos they had purchased and used them as random background images that change on each page load. We also used photos of their team and suppliers as navigation items on their ‘Our People’, ‘The Meat’ and ‘The Cheese’ pages, with custom hover effects.
- We created custom content types with custom content fields for staff and supplier pages, so it was easy for them to add new content and keep those sections organized.
- We created a custom contact form that reflected their existing branding and logo.
- We implemented a pop-up information bar, so they could post updates and news on the home page.
- We implemented a blog and separate ‘News’ section, and linked it with their social media accounts.
- We created a page for their catalogues, and made them easy to view or download.
- We created detailed documentation on how to use and maintain their site and then coded it right in to the back-end admin area, so they could access help easily whenever they logged in.